Rutgers University Director of Executive Communications in New Brunswick, New Jersey
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and having celebrated a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 67,000 students and 22,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world.
Rutgers University–New Brunswick took root more than 250 years ago. We are the state’s most comprehensive intellectual resource—the flagship campus of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, as designated by the Association of American Universities. We are the region’s most high-profile public research institution and a leading national research center with a global impact.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Director of Executive Communications for the Office of the Chancellor at Rutgers University–New Brunswick. Reporting to the chancellor of Rutgers University–New Brunswick, the incumbent in this position serves as the primary speechwriter and communicator for the chancellor and conceptualizes, writes, manages, and proofs content for a diverse array of communications projects for the Office of the Chancellor, such as speeches, op-eds, internal briefings, reports, presentations, and internal and external communications.
Among the key duties of the position are the following:
- Participates in strategic planning and communications initiatives to meet institutional and campus objectives.
- Provides key support for strategic public relations and media relations initiatives for the Office of the Chancellor, including campus communications, news releases, publications, new media, and social media in coordination with other campus communications units.
- Works with university offices regularly and maintains close relationships for effective communication content and distribution.
- Coordinates and executes crisis communications procedures for campus.
- Advises the campus of established and emerging best practices in stated areas.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of the university and its mission, higher education issues and current events.
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications or related field
- Seven years of experience in communications, public relations, marketing or professional media
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Exceptional interpersonal skills in communication, cooperation, responsiveness, personal initiative, and follow-through to work effectively with both stakeholders and university faculty and staff
- Proven skill in publishing written products that are error-free
- Demonstrated knowledge of public relations and marketing in higher education
- Strong communication skills and knowledge and understanding of higher education operations
- Ability to work well with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Proven ability to serve executive leadership in a confidential manner
- Graduate degree in communications or other area
- Demonstrated experience with executive speech writing and developing content for the web and presentation experience in a higher education environment strongly preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants
You may upload a writing sample of three to five pages with your application.
Recruitment/Posting Title: Director of Executive Communications
Job Category: Staff & Executive - Executive
Department: Chancellor - New Brunswick
Position Status: Full Time
Daily Work Shift: Day
Annual Minimum Salary: 96529.000
Annual Mid Range Salary: 122180.000
Annual Maximum Salary: 147831.000
Standard Hours: 37.50
Union Description: Admin Assembly (MPSC)
Payroll Designation: PeopleSoft
Terms of Appointment: Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility: ABP
Posting Number: 18ST0907
Posting Open Date: 03/14/2018
Regional Campus: Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Home Location Campus: College Ave (RU-New Brunswick)