Rutgers University Editorial/Media Assistant in New Brunswick, New Jersey
Rutgers Global is the universitywide international affairs unit, serving all three campuses and RBHS. Comprised of seven offices, Rutgers Global promotes and enables Rutgers to be a globally engaged institution through study and service-learning abroad programs, immigration processing and academic support services to international students and scholars, international partnership facilitation, and design and support of on-campus events that address global topics and create cross-cultural social networks.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking an Editorial/Media Assistant for Rutgers Global. Reporting to the assistant director of communications and marketing, the incumbent in this position brings creativity, exceptional writing skills, and video production experience. This Editorial/Media Specialist is primarily responsible for the coordination, media collection, and editing of short-length and mid-length audiovisual products—including a monthly podcast, a fast-paced instructional social media video series, a collection of tutorials that promote Rutgers Global’s services and resources, Facebook Live promotions, and others as assigned—that are delivered in streamlined, efficient manner and in compliance with Rutgers visual identity and editorial standards.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Coordinates or participates in all aspects of each audiovisual production, including: assists in writing scripts, secures on-camera talent or interview subjects, films/records/collects necessary media, and advises on equipment or other production needs as they arise.
- Aids in writing a series of tutorial videos to educate students, faculty and Rutgers staff about Rutgers Global’s services and resources and enhance the website experience.
- Collects and logs/transcribes media; secures production assistance and collaborates with external contractors if needed.
- Conducts research and schedules or participates in meetings, pre-interviews, and production field work related to audiovisual productions.
- Coordinates and edits the production of live broadcast promotions, highlight videos and faculty/student interviews, and a monthly cultural short-length video series to amplify social media presence
- Works closely with the assistant director of communications and marketing and the staff at Rutgers Global to bring engaging media products to social media and other electronic marketing channels designed for a variety of constituencies, including students, faculty, and staff.
- Follows general administrative/office management principles and practices and demonstrates a good understanding, use, and application of concepts, theories, principles, practices, and terminology.
- Commits to other marketing and communications tasks as assigned.
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, English, journalism or communications, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong organizational, project management, and interpersonal skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience with professional filming equipment, video lighting, script writing, and Adobe Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro
- Excellent proofreading skills
- Must be highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Must be well-versed in Associated Press editorial style and the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Three years of experience
- Knowledge of Rutgers editorial style and Rutgers visual identity rules
- Experience in a television or film production environment
- Experience and knowledge of smartphone and Canon DSLR and audio recording accessories to create high-quality video
- Experience in research/science-based fields
- Experience with professional filming equipment, video lighting, script writing, Adobe Audition, Adobe AfterEffects, Adobe Premiere Pro, and Wirecast/OBS or other social media broadcasting software
- Working knowledge of Final Cut Pro
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Some evening and weekend work required.
- Occasional intercampus travel required. Must have reliable access to transportation and a valid New Jersey driver license.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please provide samples of audiovisual work by providing link(s) to individual pieces or your professional portfolio.
Recruitment/Posting Title: Editorial/Media Assistant
Job Category: Staff & Executive - Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations/Communications
Department: Rutgers Global
Position Status: Full Time
Daily Work Shift: Day
Annual Minimum Salary: 40026.000
Annual Mid Range Salary: 49768.500
Annual Maximum Salary: 59511.000
Standard Hours: 37.50
Union Description: URA-AFT Administrative
Payroll Designation: PeopleSoft
Terms of Appointment: Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility: ABP
Posting Number: 18ST0799
Posting Open Date: 03/14/2018
Regional Campus: Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Home Location Campus: College Ave (RU-New Brunswick)