Rutgers University Public Safety Dispatcher in New Brunswick, New Jersey
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and celebrating a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 67,000 students and 22,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world. Rutgers University–New Brunswick took root nearly 250 years ago. We are the state’s most comprehensive intellectual resource—the flagship campus of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, as designated by the Association of American Universities. We are the region’s most high-profile public research institution and a leading national research center with a global impact.
Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences is seeking a Public Safety Dispatcher for the Division of Public Safety Telecommunication Center. The Public Safety Dispatcher receives and coordinates all telephone communications including E-911 system, radio requests from Police, Fire, EMS, Parking Services, Security Officers, Student Safety patrol, mounted and bike patrols, Facilities & Maintenance, and housing personnel.
- Dispatches and coordinates all communications for the Rutgers University Division of Public Safety.
- Monitors all emergency phones throughout campus; maintains a log of each phone call and records each on a daily check list to make certain that each is in working order.
- Makes necessary notifications within police departments and the University community regarding certain incidents. Contacts Dean’s staff, Residence Life staff, University Police administrators, and Rutgers News Service.
- Relays communication from police command personnel at emergency sites to other law enforcement agencies.
- Has authority to dispatch responding units to all calls for service, reporting directly to the Desk Officer or shift supervisor.
- Must appropriately and efficiently determine response to Basic Life Support and criteria to dispatch paramedics; must provide medical pre-arrival instructions to caller on a medical call received via 911.
- Must appropriately provide instructions for life threatening situations such as cardiac respiratory arrest, childbirth, choking, unconscious or non-responsive patients.
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Minimum Education and Experience
- High school/vocational school diploma, or equivalent, and two years of related working experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Computer literacy and ability to type. Must demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate in English when faced with tense or crisis situations.
- As required by the State of New Jersey, by the Office of Emergency Telecommunications Systems, before any individual may work in an E 911 Control Center they must be certified in the following training courses:
- Basic Telecommunicator Course – a 40 hour public safety training course in compliance with N.J.S.A. 52:17C and the Administrative Regulations, N.J.A.C. 17:24
- Emergency Medical Dispatch – a 32-hour course which adheres to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administrations (NHTSA) National standard curriculum.
- American Heart Association Provider B, or American Red Cross Community CPR-Basic Life Support – 8 hours
- NJCJIS Operator Certification – Certification by TAC officer to train operator on use of CJIS manual and guides training and proficiency affirmation.
- All certifications have mandatory re-certification. Training on in-house Computer Aided Dispatch, CAD. Occasional training day required.
- Radio communications
- Computer knowledge
- Applicant must pass criminal background investigation through the New Jersey State Police.
- Applicant must be available to work a variety of shifts, including weekends and holidays.
- Occasional overtime is required.
- This is a uniformed position.
Recruitment/Posting Title: Public Safety Dispatcher
Job Category: Staff & Executive - Security and Public Safety
Department: Police Department
Position Status: Full Time
Annual Minimum Salary: 18.170
Annual Mid Range Salary: 18.670
Annual Maximum Salary: 19.230
Standard Hours: 40.00
Union Description: OPEIU 153
Payroll Designation: PeopleSoft
Terms of Appointment: Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility: PERS
Posting Number: 18ST0862
Regional Campus: Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS)
Home Location Campus: Piscataway (RBHS)