Rutgers University Senior Applications Specialist in New Brunswick, New Jersey
New Jersey’s academic health center, Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) takes an integrated approach to educating students, providing clinical care, and conducting research, all with the goal of improving human health. Aligned with Rutgers University–New Brunswick and collaborating university-wide, RBHS includes eight schools, a behavioral health network, and five centers and institutes that focus on cancer treatment and research, neuroscience, advanced biotechnology and medicine, environmental and occupational health, and health care policy and aging research.
Our faculty are teachers, clinicians, and scientists with unparalleled experience who advance medical innovation and provide patient care informed by the latest research findings. We offer an outstanding education in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, public health, nursing, biomedical research, and the full spectrum of allied health careers.
Our clinical and academic facilities are located throughout the state—at Rutgers University–New Brunswick, including Piscataway; and at locations in Newark, Scotch Plains, Somerset, Stratford, and other locations. Clinical partners include Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, Newark’s University Hospital in Newark, and other affiliates.
Through this community of healers, scientists, and scholars, Rutgers is equipped as never before to transform lives.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey is seeking a Senior Applications Specialist for Rutgers School of Dental Medicine, Department of Information Systems and Technology. The Senior Applications Specialist assists in the support, maintenance and management of servers, network-based software, enterprise systems and end-user technology projects with respect to technical design, implementation and maintenance. Reporting to the Analyst I in charge of Reporting Services for RSDM – IST, the Senior Application Specialist is responsible for providing analytical support to the RSDM customer base. Develops lasting technical solutions that leverage prevailing analytical tools, including Tableau and Excel with a focus on effective integration and sustainability. Work with subject matter experts (SMEs) to identify important information in raw data and develops solutions that extract this information from a variety of data formats, including SQL tables and structured metadata.
- Builds and customizes dynamic reports and dashboards using visualization applications.
- Researches data availability and formats, updates and develops new custom queries based on user requirements.
- Identifies and quantifies key behavioral health measures. Develops scorecard for key metrics to promote department goals.
- Matches and merges data from disparate data sources to create necessary reports and properly synthesize information.
- Helps drive a culture of continuous quality improvement through delivering current and accurate reports to enhance performance.
- Documents, develops and manages cubes, advanced reporting, dashboards, analytics and other BI tools. Writes queries for data extraction and analysis for ad hoc reports or other requests.
- Identifies new tools and techniques to enable improved insight into business needs and performance.
- Participates in cross functional team environments and handles a variety of concurrent projects
- Works with IT technical staff to coordinate agency automation needs; integrates and builds export files to client applications where permissible.
- Identifies best practices and champion best practices and encourages innovation.
- Collaborates with end-users (internal / external) to gather report requirements and ensures proper testing and validation.
- Acts as a liaison between IT, project team members and the end user community. Works with the end user community to ensure satisfactory service levels and issue resolution.
- Promotes system security and the confidentiality of all information related to patients, medical staff, employees and business issues.
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required in a health-related discipline, math, engineering, business administration, computer science or related field.
- A minimum of five (5) years experience in information services with a preference given to candidates from a dental or other patient care environment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience utilizing a variety of data visualization tools and methods to create graphs, charts, timelines, maps, dashboards, infographics, etc.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills working in a service-oriented environment.
- Effective written and oral communications
- Established organizational and problem solving skills
- Experience working with: Windows Server 2008, 2012; Windows 7; Microsoft SQL Server; Active Directory.
- Experience working with PC hardware, network technology, and network troubleshooting.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products, including MS Excel, Visio and Project.
- Works under general supervision using a wide degree of creativity and discretion.
- Ability to work independently or in teams.
- Experience with data visualization software such as Tableau, D3.js, ggplot2 or Gephi is strongly preferred.
- Experience with statistical packages such as STATA, SPSS or SAS, or experience with geospatial analysis software.
Recruitment/Posting Title: Senior Applications Specialist
Job Category: Staff & Executive - Information Technology
Department: OIT-IT Health Services
Position Status: Full Time
Daily Work Shift: Day
Position Salary: 30S
Annual Minimum Salary: 74941.000
Annual Mid Range Salary: 91232.000
Annual Maximum Salary: 107523.000
Standard Hours: 37.50
Union Description: HPAE, Local 5094
Payroll Designation: PeopleSoft
Terms of Appointment: Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility: ABP
Posting Number: 18ST0788
Regional Campus: Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS)
Home Location Campus: Newark (RBHS)