GlaxoSmithKline Real World Data Scientist in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Real World Data Scientist
Open date:Apr 17, 2018 1:25 AM
Functional area:Science and Technology
Experience required:Less than 1 year
Email a friend
Your Responsibilities:GlaxoSmithKline’s (GSK) Real World Data & Analytics team (part of the Real World Evidence and Epidemiology department) supports drug development by providing real world insight into the patterns and occurrence of disease, healthcare utilization, and the safety and effectiveness of treatment, through the analysis of electronic health records, administrative claims, patient registries and other observational health data sources. Our growing Real World Data and Analytics team facilitates data access, and provides analytical and statistical leadership to influence decision-making across drug discovery, development and commercialization.
Working in our Real World Data and Analytics team you will help shape GlaxoSmithKline’s Real World Data access and analytic strategy, and work at all stages of projects from consultation, programming and analysis, through to study delivery and reporting. You will be joining a growing, energetic team offering the potential for significant personal and career growth.
• Consult and collaborate with research teams across GSK to design, conduct, analyse, manage, interpret and report studies using real world healthcare data.
• Deliver real-world insights to researchers in epidemiology, health economics and outcomes research, and elsewhere within GSK, through hands-on programming and statistical analysis of health data.
• Represent Real World Evidence to a variety of audiences throughout GSK to provide analytic consultation on the selection, appropriate use and interpretation of real-world data.
• Investigate, critically appraise and apply innovative methods, technologies and tools to better leverage observational/real world data.
• Assist in the evaluation, selection and acquisition of new real world data sources and partners for retrospective observational research.
• Lead and manage technical projects. Liaise with IT staff and external groups on technical operational issues, database tool development projects and other database -related initiatives.
Basic qualifications:• Master’s degree in a quantitative discipline such as Epidemiology, Statistics, Health Economics/Outcomes Research (HEOR), or Data Science.
• Experience manipulating large, complex datasets and have experience in R or be proficient in SAS or SQL.
• Methodological and statistical analysis skills (e.g., experience in the application of Generalized Linear Models such as logistic and Cox regression modeling techniques).
Preferred qualifications:• Prior population-based or clinical research experience of an epidemiology or health outcome/economic nature is highly desirable.
• Willingness to learn R and other programming languages
• Self-motivation with the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Experience of managing multiple projects under tight deadlines is essential.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills to articulate effectively complex data, statistical, and epidemiological concepts to diverse audiences.
Why GSK?:Today there are still millions of people without access to basic healthcare, thousands of diseases without adequate treatments and millions more people who suffer from everyday ailments. At GSK we want to change this.
We want to help people do more, feel better, live longer
We have three world-leading businesses that research, develop and manufacture innovative pharmaceutical medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products.
Across the US, we employ more than 15,000 people who strive to help others do more, feel better and live longer. This work starts one person, one community, and one story at a time.
As a science-led, global healthcare business with clear values, we offer countless opportunities for people at various stages of their careers. On-the-job learning and rewarding individual contributions are extremely important to us. We believe in creating an inclusive and safe working environment and supporting our employees to help their communities.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ AgenciesGSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency ReportingFor the Recordsite.